Passion 2012, Part I

Passion 2012 just wrapped up, but the ripple effects are just beginning.

picture of the Dome taken January 2011 at Passion 2011

Passion 2012 started back in September for me, when I was asked to be a team lead.  Caleb and I have been involved with Passion Conferences for the past 3 years, but this year I kept hearing the word “logistical” and I knew God wanted me to be a part of the details on some level.  In September I was asked to be a part of the Logistics Team. To be clear, I do not use the word “logistical” ever – so I knew it was a God thing.

As you can imagine, being part of the planning process for an event that was predicted to bring in 40,000+ college students was an amazing experience and a huge honor.  It also comes with a large amount of responsibility in the spiritual realm, because when the name of Jesus gets lifted high – spiritual warfare usually begins.

For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. 4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, 5 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ, 6 and being ready to punish all disobedience when your obedience is fulfilled. 2 Corinthians 10:3-5

Fear began inching into my heart; fear of not pleasing others, fear of not measuring up, fear of not meeting my present obligations, just fear.  Because I recognize that this is the way the Devil gets to me, I knew I had to be on constant watch and guard to speak God’s truth to myself – God is in control, Jesus intercedes for us at the throne of God, and this is not about me, this is about making the name of Jesus famous.  I say all this to explain that Passion 2012 was not just an event that thousands of people attended, it was a spiritual shift and awakening that happened months before the conference even took place.

planning session at the Georgia Dome

I “moved downtown” on December 27th because when you’re running for 18 hours straight the last thing you want to do is drive home.  The next five days mix together into one long load in, setup, training and preparing adventure.  Seriously, by day two I couldn’t tell you what day of the week it was because real life fades away.  We had a fantastic load in team and I was so grateful for the volunteers that showed up day after day to help us carry out the “logistics”.  Their hearts of servant hood and encouragement sustained me and kept me moving!

Passion 2012 began before January 2nd even rolled around – people pouring themselves into lifting high the name of Jesus, not looking for praise or recognition, serving only with the purpose of bringing the Glory of God and the truth of His faithfulness to this generation.  The days leading up to Passion 2012 were life changing for so many and the conference hadn’t even started yet! 

Watch this video for a glimpse of Passion 2012